Kong's house, December 2009

Thanks to everyone interested in this project. For a description of the project, see first blog entry. - Tomoko

Summary

1/24/10 $450 wired for work on the concrete floors. Floors are finished now.
1/15/10 Sent email to friends about blog
1/12/10 Created House of Kong blog
1/11/10 Called Kong. Got more background info. and history
1/11/10 $200 wired for starting work on floors. An engineer/construction worker is scheduled to start on Jan. 15
1/1/10 Naoto tells me the story of Kong
12/31/09 Naoto returns from Laos

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

House of Kong: the house that King Kong built

Here's the story:

When my brother, Naoto, was traveling in Laos last month, he met a young man who was the manager of the guesthouse he was staying at in Luang Prabang, the cultural capital of Laos. His name is Kong Kham Vongmanee. Jokingly he calls himself King Kong. Kong was kind and helpful. And after some prying curiosity, Naoto found out that Kong had started to build a house. Kong had an Australian friend who was helping him financially, but before it was finished, in the horrible, raging fires that scoured Australia last year, he was killed. Consequently, with the house 70% complete, Kong was contemplating selling what was left because he had no means of finishing it. Naoto came home and told me all of his interesting stories including this one and it made me want to help. With 30% of the work remaining it would cost $2000 to finish. So I sent off a portion of it and then realized that my contribution would not be enough to matter if there wasn't a critical mass. And I didn't think I could send him the whole amount. So remembering the advice of one my younger friends, "we can take it easy if we work together", I thought I might put it out to see if anyone else would like to join in. I'd like to find enough contributors to meet the $2000 goal to finish the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment